Thursday, September 1, 2011

Safe Harbor

"Son of a bitch, you're scary," he informed Jackson. "Where the hell did you get that look? Practicing in the mirror every day?"

"He worked at stealing her heart to replace the one she'd taken from him."

"Just remember who you belong to, Hannah. I wouldn't want to have to shoot anyone - or strangle you."
She leaned over to kiss his shoulder. "Why am I the one to be strangled?"
"It's a much more personal death."

"Sarah looked at Jonas. Instinctively she knew, if anyone was going to get Hannah through this, it would be Jonas - but who was going to get him through it?"

"Jonas. Their rock. Shattered into so many shards. Holding himself together through the sheer force of will."

"The house is made up of the spirits of our ancestors. Did you think they would lie idly by while we were under attack?"
"Cuz, yeah, didn't everybody's ancestors rise up and destroy enemies."

"I'm not going to say I can at least collect DNA samples," he muttered, "because every time I open my mouth, the evidence disappears."
With a little sigh, he watched te droplets of blood absorb into the wood and the window reform. "I have to tell you, I've seen some freaky shit around you girls, but nothing like this. I have just one question. Have you told your fiancees about this? Because quiet frankly it scares the hell out of me."
"You never have to be afraid, Jonas," Hannah assured. "The house judges intent."
"Hannah. Honey. Half the time my intent is to strangle you. And I don't doubt whoever ends up with Joley or Elle will want to do worse than that."

"Do you suppose we can take that as evidence? We could cut out the sections."
Jonas snorted, "You can try taking a saw to that house, but personally, I'm not about to get anywhere near it with anything resembling a weapon."

"Do you have a camera?" Jackson asked. "We could get some pictures and may be take a print or two if we're lucky."
Jonas shook his head. "We'd probably get a bunch of ghosts and that would just freak me out."

"Today's my wedding day, Mom," he said softly aloud. "I'm marrying the woman I always told you I would someday."

"It happened. It was frightening and horrible and we both wish it hadn't happened, but it did."

"She was temptation wrapped in casual elegance."

"Joley likes to be scared, and she can't watch them alone."
"I don't know how you can make that sound perfectly logical."

No comments:

Post a Comment