Wednesday, January 25, 2012

In Bed With The Devil

He's always said if you wish to die rich, invest in vice.

Her features were exquisite  perfection, carved by nature with obvious care and never altered by the harshness of life.

"You don't care what people think," he said.
She couldn't tell from the way he emphasized the words if he was asking a question or making an observation. Still, she felt obliged to answer. "Of course I care. To a certain extent we all care, but we can't care to the point that we live in fear of others' opinion, that we allow them to change who we are. We must be willing to stand up and defend what represents the very core of our being. Otherwise what is the purpose of individuality? We'd be nothing but imitations of each other, and I daresay we'd all be rather boring."

"Have you ever loved anyone?"
"You mean besides my mum?"
Luke was dumbfounded as he stared at Jack. He knew his friend's story. "She sold you when you were five."
Jack shrugged. "Doesn't mean I didn't love her. Just means she didn't love me."

Could love have only one side to it and still be love?

I'd have never thought that remembering would bring with it far more trouble than forgetting.

"Oh, Papa, I've done something terribly silly. I've fallen in love with someone, and he loves another. The strange thing is, as much as it hurts, I only want him to be happy. And if she'll make him happy, I want him to have her."

"I know you don't think he's good enough for me, but then you don't think any man is good enough for me."

"Where do you find your faith in me, Catherine?"
"From coming to know you."

"I adore you, Frannie. You know that. I always have."
She gave him the smile that had always warmed him, but it was not that threatened to bring him to his knees. He would kill to keep that smile on her face. But to keep Catherine smiling, he would willingly die.
"But you love Catherine," Frannie said quietly.

My friendship with Jack remains strained. I want to believe that he was duped, but he has always been far too clever to fall for another man's ruse. So we have added yet one more thing to our relationship about which we never speak. Sometimes I think we will break beneath the weight of it, but on those occasions I have but to look at my wife in order to find the strength to carry on. I am determined to be worthy of her and that requires that I be a far stronger and better man than I had ever planned to be.
We see Frannie from time to time, not as often as we'd like unfortunately. She did eventually marry, but that is her story to tell.
Dear Frannie, darling Frannie.
She shall always remain the love of my youth, the one for whom I sold my soul to the devil. But Catherine, my beloved Catherine, shall always be the center of my heart, the one who, in the final hour, would not let the devil have me.


They were bound together by the things they'd done. Things the nobility could never comprehend being desperate enough to do.

The price you pay for waltzing with the devil is residing in hell.

Is there nothing you want so desperately that you'd be willing to do anything in order to acquire it?

When someone harms those whom we love, we must do as we must. And I had always loved Frannie.

You are now in league with the devil, my lady. May you rest easier at night than I.

"You must love her very much to be willing to do all this."
He twisted his head slightly and held her gaze. "I'm not doing anything for her that I've not done for her before."

"Why did you think my reason for being here had something to do with Frannie?" Luke asked.
"Because she's what we all have in common."
"No, Feagan is what we all have in common."
"But Frannie is the one we all circle around to protect."

Sighing, she looked out at the fog. It was like life, preventing her from seeing what was beyond reach. She wasn't unhappy. She simply felt that something important was missing from her life.

Sometimes having the dream makes you more content than having the reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment