Friday, November 16, 2012

A Night Like This

- "Love is blind," Harriet quipped.
"But not illiterate," Elizabeth retorted.

- "He said he loved me," she whispered.
Daniel swallowed, and he had the strangest sensation, almost a premonition of what it must like to be a parent.
Someday, God willing, he'd have a daughter, and that daughter would look like the woman standing in front of him, and if ever she looked at him with that bewildered expression, whispering, "He said he loved me . . ."
Nothing short of murder would be an acceptable response.

- I was told once that the most important part of a fight is making sure your opponent looks worse than you do when you're through.

- "Have you seen Frances?"
He tilted his head to the right. "I believe she's off rooting about in the bushes."
Anne followed his gaze uneasily. "Rooting?"
"She told me she was practicing for the next play."
Anne blinked at him, not following.
"For when she gets to be a unicorn."
"Oh, of course." She chuckled. "She is rather tenacious, that one."

- "What about me?" Frances asked.
"The butler," Harriet replied without even a second of hesitation.
Frances's mouth immediately opened to protest.
"No, no," Harriet said. "It's the best role, I promise. You get to do everything."
"Except be a unicorn," Daniel murmured.
Frances tilted her head to the side with a resigned expression.
"The next play," Harriet finally gave in. "I shall find a way to include a unicorn in the one I'm working on right now."
Frances pumped both fists in the air. "Huzzah!"

- "Oh, Daniel," his mother exclaimed, catching him before he could make his escape, "Do come join us. We're trying to decide if Honoria should be married in lavender-blue or blue-lavender."
He opened his mouth to ask the difference, then decided against it. "Blue-lavender," he said firmly, not having a clue as to what he was talking about.
"Do you think so?" his mother responded, frowning. "I really think lavender-blue would be better."
The obvious question would have been why she'd asked his opinion in the first place, but once again, he decided that the wise man did not make such queries.

- She was petite, small in that way that made a man want to slay dragons.

- "Help me. Please?"
She gave him an abashed nod (but not nearly so abashed as she ought) and turned to Harriet. "I think that Lord Winstead refers to the rhyming qualities of the title."
Harriet blinked a few times. "It doesn't rhyme."
"Oh, for heaven's sake," Elizabeth burst out. "Finstead Winstead?"
Harriet's gasp very nearly sucked the air from the room. "I never noticed!" she exclaimed.
"Obviously," her sister drawled.
"I must have been thinking about you when I wrote the play," Harriet said to Daniel. From her expression, he gathered he was meant to feel flattered, so he tried to smile.

- "His brows rose. "And how is it that you have come to be such an expert on scrapes and bruises?"
"I'm a governess," she said. Because really, that ought to be explanation enough.

- Then Elizabeth came, bearing a tray of cakes and sweets, and finally Harriet, who carried with her a small sheaf of papers, her current opus, Henry VIII and the Unicorn of Doom .
"I'm not certain Frances is going to be appeased by an evil unicorn," Anne told her.
Harriet looked up with one arched brow. "She did not specify that it must be a good unicorn."
Anne grimaced. "You're going to have a battle on your hands, that's all I'm going to say on the matter."

- Harriet shrugged, then said, "I'm going to begin in act two. Act one is a complete disaster. I've had to rip it completely apart."
"Because of the unicorn?"
"No," Harriet said with a grimace. "I got the order of the wives wrong. It's divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, widowed."
"How cheerful."
Harriet gave her a bit of a look, then said, "I switched one of the divorces with a beheading."
"May I give you a bit of advice?" Anne asked.
Harriet looked up.
"Don't ever let anyone hear you say that out of context."

- Then, with a cheeky quirk of his brows, he leaned forward and murmured, "Would it be improper of me to admit that I am inordinately flattered by your attention to
the details of my face?"
Anne snorted out a laugh. "Improper and ludicrous."
"It is true that I have never felt quite so colorful," he said, with a clearly feigned sigh.
"You are a veritable rainbow," she agreed. "I see red and . . . well, no orange and yellow, but certainly green and blue and violet."
"You forgot indigo."
"I did not," she said, with her very best governess voice. "I have always found it to be a foolish addition to the spectrum. Have you ever actually seen a rainbow?"
"Once or twice," he replied, looking rather amused by her rant.

- "What happened to your face?" Harriet asked.
"It was a misunderstanding," Daniel said smoothly, wondering how long it might take for his bruises to heal. He did not think he was particularly vain, but the questions were growing tiresome.
"A misunderstanding?" Elizabeth echoed. "With an anvil?"
"Oh, stop," Harriet admonished her. "I think he looks very dashing."
"As if he dashed into an anvil."
"Pay no attention," Harriet said to him. "She lacks imagination.

- "Nonetheless, I can't help but be flattered that you noticed the latest addition to my collection," he said.
She rolled her eyes. "Because personal injuries are such a dignified thing to collect."
"Are all governesses so sarcastic?

No comments:

Post a Comment