Monday, December 31, 2012

One Night In Scotland

It's funny how many little things you get used to - attached to, even - and never realize until you travel abroad and those things are not available.

One of the benefits of travelling is that you learn what you truly value when you are home. And little things that you might take for granted are sweeter, softer, larger, and infinitely better for the experience of not having them.

Knowledge and action combined can win over any adversity known to man.

...we are all wont to make mistakes, but if we learn from each trick, each error, and refuse to allow it to happen again, then the experience is not a loss, but a lifelong gain. Our pride may sting for the moment, but our future will be the better for it.

There comes a time in every endeavor when one must take fate by the lapels and explain the need for urgency.

In order to understand something really and truly well, you must know where it came from. There is no other way to appreciate its value.

Frequently, things are seen as 'insurmountable' merely from a lack of know-how.

We see the world in terms of history, not money. That's the main difference between us and the rest of the world - we appreciate man's foibles, passions, and beliefs, while the rest of the world appreciates their coins.

Every day stole away more of her presence, leaving in its place faint wisps of memories devoid of color, scent, and sound.

But like all simple things, once you add the human element, all hell breaks loose.

If you ever find yourself presented with a fork in the road of life and you do not know the correct direction, close your eyes and listen to your heart. I have found more adventure, more love, more happiness, and more life by listening to who I am, rather than attempting to tell myself.

Sometimes the little things are the big things.


Excitement is never comfortable. When it comes, you just hang on and hope you don't fall off.

I wish I could tell you that I leapt to my feet anyway, snake be dammed. Or that I wrestled the snake and then fought my opponent. But I saw the icy cold disdain in the snake's eyes and did the only prudent thing I could - I froze in my place. After a long few moments, the grew bored and slithered away, as had my opponent. Yet I felt that I had won, for I lived to fight another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment