Monday, July 18, 2011

Devil in Winter

He looked like a fallen angel, replete with all the dangerous male beauty that Lucifer could devise.

Nature had squandered an unreasonable quantity of male beauty on this undeserving creature.

A man's vanity is more fragile that you might think. It's easy for us to mistake shyness for coldness, and silence for indifference.

If my love can hold you, I'll keep you with me.

Because I'm Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent. I can't be celibate. Everyone knows that.

The situation was extraordinary. How someone like Evangeline Jenner could have wrought such a change in St. Vincent, the most worldly of men, was difficult to understand. However, Westcliff had learned that the mysteries of attraction could not always be explained through logic. Sometimes the fractures in two separate souls became the very hinges that held them together.

Good God. I don't believe St.Vincent and the word "celibacy" have ever been mentioned in the same sentence before.

Slowly his resistance ebbed. She felt the change in his body, the relaxing of tension, his shoulders curving around her as if he could draw her into himself. Murmuring her name, he brought her hand to his face and nuzzled ardently into her palm, his lips brushing the warm circlet of her gold wedding band. "My love is upon you," he whispered, and she knew then that she had won.

"Evie," came his faint whisper "I'm going to your mother see, she's got 'em to leave a back door open, so I can steal into 'eaven."

It's all right," the boy murmured as he felt her trembling. "My grandmother always told me 'Never try to turn back on a new road, you don't know what adventures await you."

"Ghost," St. Vincent shot him an incredulous glance. "Christ. You're not serious are you?"
"I'm a Gypsy," Cam replied matter-of-factly. "Of course I believe in ghosts."
"Only half Gypsy. Which led me to assume that the rest of you was at least marginally sane and rational."
"The other half is Irish," Cam said a touch apologetically."
"Christ," St. Vincent said again shaking his head as he strode away.

No comments:

Post a Comment