Friday, December 23, 2011

England's Perfect Hero

On nights like this, when he rode out from the dark, silent house to the dark, deserted park, he could
forget.
He could be nothing but a solitary rider on a fast horse, wind in his face and the world open around him.
No walls, no bars, no quiet weeping or screams or death. None of that could catch him.
On a night like this, none of it could find him.

"Talking to yourself?" Her father turned the corner of the house to join her amid the rows of roses.
Sneaking was evil, she decided. "No. I was just conversing with the new rosebush," she stammered, feeling her cheeks warm.
"Ah. And did it answer?"
"I believe it to be shy."
"If it ever does answer, you will inform me, won't you ?"
"Very amusing.

"Roses," Georgiana repeated, her thoughtful gaze touching his. "It's about time one of the Carroway men
decided to cultivate something other than their poor reputations."

And even though he enjoyed being around her, he resisted her, because he was supremely aware that he wasn't the old Robert any longer; he was Bit, a piece of what he'd once been.

"I had a thought," Bradshaw said into the silence.
"Amazing," Tristan returned dryly.

"I'll be back at sea by then," Bradshaw put in, "so I'll comfort myself with the knowledge that you'll name
the infant after me."
"I don't think 'Half-wit' will pass muster with Georgie, but I'll let her know that's your suggestion."

"I wish you'd tell me when we're having friends over for luncheon."
"I would, if they would tell me."

No comments:

Post a Comment